Skip to main content

How My Journey Began



In July 2016, I was in the deepest depression I had ever been in. I would literally come home, sit on the couch and go to sleep. I would have someone make dinner and bring me a plate of food. I would not go to the store or get out anywhere that I had to walk any amount of distances. I would literally fall asleep sitting with people that came to visit. I would eat an unhealthy amount of calories and endless amounts of fast food as often as possible. I would sit more than anything at my job. 

There was a phrase said to me that forever opened my eyes: "You are going to die." The follow up information about how my son was going to have no mother if I continued down this path was just as impacting. The fact I would miss him even making it to high school let alone seeing him graduate, get married, have children or any other success he might have along the way because I was going to die. I was killing myself slowly with food, unhealthy living habits and depression with anxiety.

That phrase forever changed my life. I made the phone call to Blue Sky Md the next day. I had my appointment soon after. I weighed in at 477 pounds. That number has forever burned in my mind, and I never want to see those three digits as my weight ever again. Blue Sky set me up on a meal plan including a caloric intake. I had weekly appointments for accountability and support. They taught me how to read food labels, about exercise and so much more that I am thankful for.

I began exercising sitting on a stool in my living room. I used a small set of weights, resistance bands, and YouTube videos I would find that would show me how to do an effective workout in a seated position. Standing was just not ideal yet with working out. I graduated within a few weeks to dancing to The Fitness Marshall. I would workout to his dance videos for an hour a day, and sometimes longer. I started to feel a sense of awakening in my soul at this point. This showed me that I was dancing in the right direction.

In 2017, I made the decision to sign-up for a 30 Day Free Trial at Burn Boot Camp-Asheville. I kept seeing these ads all over social media. I would get excited about what I would see advertised, but then I would feel defeated that I might not be able to do that. I corresponded back and forth with the trainer, Zach, speaking of my concerns about starting something so new and intimidating to me. He convinced me to walk in the doors, sit down before the gym opened and gave me the desire to come back for orientation.



Burn Boot Camp-Asheville Day 1
 12/3/2017, Me and Zach


As we are approaching December 2019, I continue to be a client at Burn Boot Camp-Asheville. I continue my visits with Blue Sky MD. Those may be my tools, but they are helping me meet my goals and achieve success one step at a time. I am forever grateful for communities that accept you for you, love you for you and will encourage you no matter where you are in your journey.

This journey is far from easy. Finding myself again has been the biggest struggle I have ever endured. However, I not only look like a different person than that first day at Burn Boot Camp, I feel like a different person. I am happy. I am confident. I am strong. I am fierce. I am me again. There is no amount that I could pay anyone for that feeling again. Finding my spirit has definitely been the biggest reward aside from all the firsts I have endured, the things I have been able to experience with my son, and the deep down gratitude I have for every single person that has been on my journey cheering me on.

And we continue..... Next up... What is a Burn Sister?

Comments

  1. awww yes Jess!!!!!!! I am so so so so so proud of you! You are so brave and strong and beautiful <3

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love watching you on your journey and being your friend! You are so inspiring!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

The Plateau

The plateau I have encountered in the last few weeks has been one of the hardest moments in my progression. I have been working incredibly hard in the gym and on my nutrition. Yes, I have the occasional set back treats, but if I don't, I will forever be over indulging on those treats. I have been so incredibly discouraged for weeks about the plateau. The fact that I have done more in the last few weeks for movement including adding in jumping rope has been hardest on me mentally. I have felt so defeated. The scale is a tool, but is also the visual proof that you are making progress. I know I recently made an entry all about the scale, but honestly, I am continuing to struggle with the numbers not changing. I am so close to the next milestone that I want that I am so angry that there is a sudden halt. I have incredible people working behind the scenes to reconfigure my caloric deficit, having me log in my food on a new app and working to keep my mind focused on continuing

Insecurities

Disclaimer: This was probably one of the harder blogs I have written. This took a lot out of me personally. However, to be honest, I feel so much lifted off my shoulders being able to write about this.... I always pictured pregnancy to be so much more pleasant and exciting. Although I will never regret or question my pregnancy, I was obese when I was pregnant. However, I had a very challenging pregnancy because of the obesity. I had a lot of vomiting, in fact every single day, some days multiple days. I had a hard time moving around without hurting as I got further and further along. I was unable to work. I had preeclampsia severely. I had so many tests, constantly. I was hospitalized twice. I developed Bells Palsy and that is when they decided to induce my labor. My labor and delivery was far from glamorous. My body rejected two epidurals and a spinal. My body was not handling all this well. The result of obesity and pregnant was the vertical incision (also known as a classic c-s