Skip to main content

Reflecting on 2019

Wow! What a year! I am not really sure that there is a real way to portray the last year with just words. Instead, there will be photos, lots of photos. There will be stories of successes and failures. There will be reflections on what is to come for the next year. Plus, an update on my goal I am currently working towards. This blog is going to wrap up the entire year and leave me craving more for next year.




This year I knew I wanted change. There were a lot of changes I was trying to make including my place of employment. I was questioning if I wanted to teach anymore. I knew I wanted a new job and a new situation so I could focus on what I had prioritized for the year...Consistency. 


My Commitment for 2019 as posted on Facebook.

Consistency meant to me to make changes, constantly, that will allow me to grow as a person in not only health, but confidence, maturity, happiness and most importantly self love. I focused on making that a priority for me to see progress physically, mentally and emotionally. That progress was going to come from change. Changes that were not going to be easy for me, but changes that were necessary to get me going back on track to successful health.


This is the year I fell in love with photos. I wanted my picture taken. My sister recently asked "Since when do you like having your picture taken?" Well, since I realized that I NEED them. I not only need them to mark the important memories in my life and document time spent with those I love, but I NEED to see the progress I am working so hard to achieve.

This year I was also so busy. I was active, more active than I had been in years. The kids and I went to Tennessee for a long weekend. We did things that I had not been to do in a very long time. I participated with them instead of just having them go do those things alone. I went to the Gulf Shores, Alabama with B after a dear friend gifted us the opportunity. We had never taken a vacation alone, let alone spent a week with just the two of us without C or M. I participated in a hip hop cardio dance class, not once, not twice, but THREE times. I also did Chakti Yoga for the first time ever. I participated in my first 5k. I also got to sit third row at a New Kids on the Block concert.

Let's reflect a little more in depth about the big victories of the year...

First, the weekend with the kids has to be one of the best ones we have ever taken. Being able to go away just the three of us, me fully participate and be involved in what we were doing and enjoying myself instead of sitting in the car meant so much to me. The kids and I enjoyed Wonder Works, Alcatraz museum and just random things in between. We stayed in Country Cascades Waterpark Resort and enjoyed their amenities as well.
Wonder Works, Pigeon Forge, TN, 3/3/2019

I drove to Tennessee to see my baby sister graduate high school. This is not only a huge milestone for her, but for me as well. As I mentioned in my previous blog, seating and parking are always a concern when you know you are attending any event, big or small. When I knew I was going to have to be at Thompson-Boling Arena in Knoxville for her graduation, I knew I needed to plan adequately, but safely. I was super proud of myself for being able to park, walk around the parking deck to the entrance and then walk up hills to get back to the car. Also, this is also when seating become less of a concern. I was starting to fit in seats that I could not sit in before.


Thompson-Boling Arena, William Blount High School, Class of 2019, 5/14/2019
I also went to the pool for the first time in a new, smaller bathing suit with the kids. I was so proud of myself, but not proud of the lack of reapplying sunscreen. Memories were being made and we lasted all day there. This was just the beginning of fun times with mom.

Cane Creek Pool, Fairview, NC, 5/27/2019


This year in June, Blake and I were gifted the opportunity to go to the Gulf Shores in Alabama. My life long friend had rented a beach house and offered to allow us to go. Blake and I loaded up in my car and took off with them. We went for an entire week and made some of the best memories I have ever dreamed of. I am forever in debt to them for allowing us that opportunity. Otherwise, I am not sure if we would have ever been able to go. We walked around, shopped, walked to and from the beach, climbed three floors of stairs daily and enjoyed making memories with people that will forever be family. That memory of the year really hits my soul.

Gulf Shores, Alabama, 6/28/2019


July was another month of making moments count....
I went to watch my sister perform at her last dance competition. She was a superstar. I can see we share a love for dance. I was able to park, walk around the high school she was at for the competition and climb a mountain of stairs to sit to watch her compete. Oh, she did well. They won the grand champion award.

 Sister and I at her dance competition, East Burke High, 7/20/19
There was also a first time concert experience for me. I had never sat in a third row for a concert before, but I also had never been to see New Kids on the Block before. I was completely overwhelmed and excited to be there to enjoy multiple music acts from my childhood. NKOTB, Salt and Pepa, Debbie Gibson, Tiffany, and Naughty by Nature all brought down the house with some great talent and music. I am forever changed to be on the floor for a concert as often as possible as well as going to see NKOTB again! Wow!





There was a walk, a long walk, that I had never imagined doing before with friends. I kept up with two of the strongest, fastest ladies that I never thought I would be able to. This led to me signing up for my first 5k, and participating. Did I finish? No. I also got my first stress fracture this year from the walk in the park. Hey, not everything can be perfect.
Just a walk in Fletcher Park, Fletcher, NC, 9/21/2019

The 5k was one of the most intimidating things I decided to do this year. The process to get mentally prepared to show up was overwhelming. I had a lot of emotions going through me, but I had paid to do it, promised people I would show up (besides, they knew where I lived) and I had some incredible support that I knew would be with me to the end. I had a friend walk with me the entire 5k, and the rest came back to find me when they were finished to cheer me on the entire time. Do you see who was one of those people? My trainer, Zach. The same guy that walked suicide sprints with me the first week of Burn. This was not just my first 5k either, most of the people in the picture below, including Zach, had never done a 5k before. Super duper non-scale victory for all of us for even just showing up.







Specialized PT Parkinson's 5k, Fletcher Park, Fletcher, NC 9/28/19



Did I enjoy the 5k? No, not at all. Did I TRY? Yes. Will I do it again? Probably not, but that is to be determined as I do not ever want to say never to anything. I did learn that 5ks, long distance running or walking is not something I enjoy. I enjoy finding the things in fitness that challenge me, but also go quickly because you get lost in the joy doing them. This is running for some people. This is marathons for some people. For me, it's dance.

I went to dance with YouTube sensation Jessica Bass James. My friends and I helped me step out of my comfort zone to do a dance cardio hip hop class. The intensity was high, and I burned a lot of calories. I left that studio sweaty and craving to do it again! I may not have gotten every move on point, and will never be able to move my hiney like her, but I did move the entire time.

The Crew with Jessica Bass James, 7/13/2019


This was not the only dance class I attended this year. I attended the hip hop glow class that we had at Burn Boot Camp-Asheville. This class I did a little better. I am still working on some little hops and understanding the terminology of dance, as well as how to move both my arms and feet at the same time or when to do a double on which side, but I am getting there. I definitely saw progress compared to the first time.



Glowing Cardio Hip Hop, 11/9/2019

At the end of December, I also attended the cardio hip-hop class at the Y with some friends. I definitely did better there than I had at the other two. I can see changes and progress. I just need to remember my water bottle this next time. My love for dance has definitely been growing. I honestly prefer that to any other cardio, and I burn so many calories doing it. Fitness doesn't have to be boring, find something YOU enjoy.

Chakti (Twerking) Yoga was another first this year. MAN! Talk about intense. I am not really sure how long learning how to move your booty the way dancers do, but I admire their ability to do so! We did the glowing chakti yoga with an amazing instructor. No, I was not successful at doing many of the movements, but I had the best time trying and modified to the best of my ability. The best part was the end, and not because it was over, but because of the breathing and self reflection you got to do. The music and the instructor just helped end that on such a high note after such an intense experience.

Chakti Yoga with Blake, 11/22/2019

Speaking of enjoy, being with my friends has honestly been one of the best parts of the year. They keep me grounded. They lift me up through some of the hardest times in my life and they love me for me. I know when I walk away from the table, they are not talking about me in a negative light. They keep me grounded and remind me of the good in what I see bad situations. They give me cider on the days I just am unsure if I am going to make through and they laugh at the ridiculous things I say. They have helped me love living again, and keep reminding me WHY i should live. They put themselves out of their own comfort (see examples above) so I can find joy in something one of us wants to try. This year has truly been about living consistently and finding the love in me again.

The Crew, Fletcher, NC, 12/14/2019


This year we not only did fitness related things, but we did things like go to our friend's house to see the blue ghost fireflies that live on her property. This involved some very outside of our comfort zone adventures including a decline and incline walk in a dark forest with some rain moving in to the area, minimal light and noises of the night. Honestly, one of the best experiences of the year, and I have no regret. I fully intend and hope we go again the next season.


Blue Ghost Fireflies Adventures, Pisgah Forest, NC, 5/18/2019
One of the biggest memories of the year was being able to drop my seat belt extender because I can finally sit in my seat and fasten my seat belt without it cutting off the circulation. When that was no longer an option, I honestly felt like a huge weight was lifted off me because I was always nervous it would effect the functional ability as well as safety of the seat belt. 

Goodbye extender!, 03/2019
A lesson I learned this year is the necessity for a quality bra. The changes in your body affect every inch of your body, especially as you are not only losing pounds, but inches too! I went bra shopping and got fit for the first time ever for a quality bra. I will never go back to cheap, low quality bras again. Another supported outing from my bestest friends as they recognized my need and how it was outside my comfort level. 

Bra Shopping, 11/17/2019 

Oh shopping, let us not neglect this topic because I did a lot of that this year. This whole losing inches creates a whole new problem---needing new clothes. I am finally shrinking enough to be able to buy at more fashionable places. We did a lot of shopping trips over the last few months. The walking around and moving with my friends as well as being able to fit in to smaller sizes while I continue to try on larger due to my denial that I am indeed shrinking.



Black Friday at Asheville Outlets, 11/24/2019
Not every memory of the year will be rainbows and sunshine. I had some challenging moments including losing a job of almost three years. I had already been interviewing for months for new opportunities as I knew I wanted to be closer to home and in a better situation for advancement. God closed that door for me before I could open a new one because my time there was done. I accepted that after many talks with myself and other people. This was the day I discovered my love for Bold Rock Hard Brewery in Mills River. Of course, in my crew's true fashion, they all showed up to love me that day in one of the hardest times of the year.



Bold Rock with the crew on 8/2/2019



There have been some not as notable firsts for me, but things I enjoyed including cookie decorating fall and holiday cookies. I also got to see a comedian, Heather Land, at the Orange Peel in Asheville. There are also numerous firsts on foods and restaurants that I got to enjoy this year too.


Fall Cookie Decorating, 10/2019

Holiday Cookie Decorating, 12/04/2019

Heather Land at the Orange Peel, 12/06/2019

My birthday this year was celebrated axe throwing at Timber Axe Throwing and being able to partake on a visit to Bold Rock Brewery again. This was honestly one of the best birthdays of my entire life. I had so many people there and so much love! I will never forget that night and the amount of memories we made that night. The crew all had an incredible time. There were some fellas that joined us, too! This one just another group date night...


The most AXEcellent crew, Timber Axe Throwing, Hendersonville, NC, 09/06/2019

Bold Rock Brewery, Mills River, 09/06/2019


Happy 37th Birthday to me! That was a lucky throw.. First time ax throwing. Timber Axe Throwing, Hendersonville, NC, 09/06/2019

Of course at the gym, I had many victories. I missed basically the entire month of October at the gym due to my stress fracture and wearing a boot. I did not want to injure myself or feel so anxious about being there. I chose to do at home workouts and watched my nutrition closely. I was able to manage to continue to lose weight and see progress while I was unable to workout. I have been able to ease back in to the gym, see progress and continue to grow in fitness as I did all year.

Here are a few of those highlights:

I did my first body rolls (on the ledge). They were not pretty, and I am pretty sure I was shaky the entire time. However, the celebration and pride I saw in Amy's eyes when we locked eyes meant so much to me. Of course, we documented with a photo.


First Power Rolls (ledge) with Amy, 04/27/2019

I also did presses with 50s consistently and was able to get reps in with 70s with a spotter. 



I also did skipping rope on with the jump rope for the first time. I did 3 consecutive before getting tangled up, and I kept trying the entire time I was at that station. This was an even bigger deal because this was after I healed from my stress fracture, and I was a nervous wreck about hurting myself again.



Jumping Rope, 11/29/2019


There was also a situation with the old job and the new job that I had to adjust to life as part of the "rooster crew" temporarily. The 5a camp is an express camp that allows you to get your workout in first thing in the morning and not have to worry about it. This is extremely sufficient if you know your afternoon might prevent you from making the gym.


First 5a camp with the Rooster Crew, 06/13/2019

Perhaps the biggest milestone of the year at the gym is the honor of being posted on the Transformation Wall. This wall has been an aspiration of mine since I started at BBC-AVL. I was completely overwhelmed with emotion and pride when I got the email asking if I would be interested. Of course I would be interested and proud to share my experience, but there had to be a clear understanding that this did not end my journey. That in all honesty this just fueled my journey more. They posted my journey in December, and I was so excited to see it there. My journey is forever on the wall for people to read, be inspired and make decisions to start their own. 


Transformation Success Stories Wall, BBC AVL, 12/19/2019
I also discovered that I LIKE to have my picture taken on a monthly basis with Zach. We have a monthly focus meeting to discuss goals and progress. We take a picture and I get to compare the physical changes throughout my journey. This pictures have kept me motivated. I enjoy being able to reflect on how much has changed and what I am doing now that I could not then. Plus, Zach changes in these photos too. If there is one thing I can suggest while you are on your journey, no matter if you have started or have not started yet, TAKE PICTURES. These pictures will mean so much to you as you are changing. You will be able to not only feel the changes, but see them as well. Truly, they are a super tool to help you celebrate your victories.


Zach and I Comparisons for 2019

And of course, I cannot go without mentioning that I was awarded TWO awards at our gym Holiday Party and Awards Dinner--The Most Focus Meetings and The Most Active on Social Media. Truly is humbling to be awarded anything that is fitness related at this point in my life. So much pride, even to what may be silly to others.

Burn Boot Camp Holiday Dinner and Awards, 12/07/2019
The Crew at the Holiday Dinner and Awards, 12/07/2019



Burn Family, Holiday Dinner and Awards, 12/07/2019


This year has truly been one of the best years of my adult life. I can sit and reflect all day long on the major victories, but there are so many that may not seem as such a big deal to most ordinary people. These victories mean that much more to me because I was able to even able to begin to think to accomplish them. For example, I celebrate all the time how much I move now. This is one of the biggest victories that I have and should hold pride in. Movement after all is what is going to keep me succeeding on this journey. There are victories both on and off the scale. These victories can be simply moving around at work more to being able to complete a marathon.I have learned to take pride in each and every single one of them. Reward yourself with reflection on just how you accomplish something, what you are doing better and your overall successes as a person.

Although there have been some down points of the year of 2019, I have many successful moments that I will continue to hold a spotlight on. The reflection of the year really helped me to remember just how far I have came, how much success I hold and how much more each victory means to me. 






I'm coming for you 2020....Watch out! This girl is not stopping...


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Plateau

The plateau I have encountered in the last few weeks has been one of the hardest moments in my progression. I have been working incredibly hard in the gym and on my nutrition. Yes, I have the occasional set back treats, but if I don't, I will forever be over indulging on those treats. I have been so incredibly discouraged for weeks about the plateau. The fact that I have done more in the last few weeks for movement including adding in jumping rope has been hardest on me mentally. I have felt so defeated. The scale is a tool, but is also the visual proof that you are making progress. I know I recently made an entry all about the scale, but honestly, I am continuing to struggle with the numbers not changing. I am so close to the next milestone that I want that I am so angry that there is a sudden halt. I have incredible people working behind the scenes to reconfigure my caloric deficit, having me log in my food on a new app and working to keep my mind focused on continuing

How My Journey Began

In July 2016, I was in the deepest depression I had ever been in. I would literally come home, sit on the couch and go to sleep. I would have someone make dinner and bring me a plate of food. I would not go to the store or get out anywhere that I had to walk any amount of distances. I would literally fall asleep sitting with people that came to visit. I would eat an unhealthy amount of calories and endless amounts of fast food as often as possible. I would sit more than anything at my job.  There was a phrase said to me that forever opened my eyes: "You are going to die." The follow up information about how my son was going to have no mother if I continued down this path was just as impacting. The fact I would miss him even making it to high school let alone seeing him graduate, get married, have children or any other success he might have along the way because I was going to die. I was killing myself slowly with food, unhealthy living habits and depression with anxi

Insecurities

Disclaimer: This was probably one of the harder blogs I have written. This took a lot out of me personally. However, to be honest, I feel so much lifted off my shoulders being able to write about this.... I always pictured pregnancy to be so much more pleasant and exciting. Although I will never regret or question my pregnancy, I was obese when I was pregnant. However, I had a very challenging pregnancy because of the obesity. I had a lot of vomiting, in fact every single day, some days multiple days. I had a hard time moving around without hurting as I got further and further along. I was unable to work. I had preeclampsia severely. I had so many tests, constantly. I was hospitalized twice. I developed Bells Palsy and that is when they decided to induce my labor. My labor and delivery was far from glamorous. My body rejected two epidurals and a spinal. My body was not handling all this well. The result of obesity and pregnant was the vertical incision (also known as a classic c-s