Skip to main content

"The Scale"







Without a doubt, the scale is an obvious tool that I use to see I am losing weight. The numbers decreasing is honestly the best visual reminder of the changes taking place in my body to become healthier me. Those numbers have changed from a mere ounces to more than one pound of loss, but gaining as well. 


Image result for scales memes positive
There is not a question that the numbers showing gain make me feel defeated, and like I did something wrong. There are sometimes obvious factors that contribute to the gains like hormones around "that time of the month," or if I allowed my diet to be completely unbalanced throughout the week. There has also been the factor of not drinking enough water throughout the day that has caused gain. There is also the obvious one of not working out hard enough or at all that week.

There are days that the scale barely moves or stays the same. I can typically define those reasons as well. A lot of those reasons align with the gaining reasons. However, there have been times I have stepped on the scale and expected a much greater loss, but end up the same or barely changing. The feeling of defeat again takes over, and I feel like I have had another setback on progression to being under 300 lbs.

The days that the scale moves even ounces has been some of the most positive reminders that I have been able to be thankful for. The pounds make me want to celebrate and jump for joy some days especially if the week before has been a hard week of little to no progress. However, any progress I have has been positive as well as towards my goals of being leaner, stronger and healthier in life.

Why am I talking the scale? This time of year so many people resolve to become healthier and lose "xxx amount of weight". They join gyms and work on things for a minimal amount of time until they are bored because the numbers on the scale are not changing as quickly as they would like to see. They lose their vision and focus because of the same numbers they are allowing to define them. They see all the success and work they have done for the amount of time to only be lost, and eventually will be having to start over.

The scale is a typical factor in people's decision to quit any weight loss journey. I mean quitting is so much easier than the hard work, right? If the results are not seen fast enough, that is when the feeling of defeat starts to set in. Some things I have realized on this journey is that there are so many pieces to your health that the scale, eating better and exercising are not the only ones. There are genetic, environmental, emotional and so much more that contribute to your daily weight gain/loss. I say daily because your weight fluctuates daily even from morning to night. You can gain water weight so easily.

At one point in my journey, I was weighing myself three times a week-at Burn Boot Camp during my weekly focus meetings, at work for our weight loss challenge and then at Blue Sky. That drove me absolutely insane. I was mentally all over the place and depressed because I was not losing weight every time I stepped on the scale. That was another factor--all those scales were different scales, and not all scales read the same. I had to mentally say I cannot do this so many times a week because I was exhausting myself. I felt more defeat doing that than I did just one-two times a week.

On the other hand, I have a friend who weighs every.single.day. Do I think I can do that? Nope. Does it work for her and help her stay accountable? Yes. I prefer to not weigh daily because again there are so many contributing factors on a daily basis. However, if it works for her or you, do it.

The way you handle the scale is your own mental decision. Just be reminded those numbers are just numbers. Unless you have means to be weighed to break down your fat, water and muscle, those numbers will constantly change. You will see them fluctuate on a regular basis, but does that mean you give up? NO. That means you keep working hard, keep your focus and celebrate the milestone goals you achieve one step at a time. Pay attention to how your clothes fit. Pay attention to how your body feels as far as energy and pain. Pay attention to the way you do things differently now that you are making progress. Even a few days of exercise paired with good eating will help you to see so many changes that cannot be seen on a scale. 

If you have a measuring tape that you can use to measure your inches, find someone to help you do that too. That helps me see clarity in just exactly how much has changed on my body on a monthly basis when I have my focus meetings with my trainer, Zach. Also, ladies, try to focus those opportunities around your menstrual cycle when you know bloat and water gain will be at bay. I have had a few discouraging moments because I did not think to do that.

The internal changes are far more important than seeing those numbers change every time you step on the scale. The feeling of overall health, happiness and clarity will continue to allow you to grow as a person, achieve success in your journey and be able to overcome the focus on the scale. Yes, we all want to see those results in visual numbers. Do not allow those numbers to define you at all.  Be honest with yourself if you do gain or stay the same. Be realistic with what you need to do to get back on track to get those numbers going in a direction you want to see. Those numbers should only be a reminder of how far you have come, and that you are making progress, one day at a time, for the better health of your lifestyle.

 If you are in the beginning, middle, end or wherever you might be in your journey, DO NOT QUIT. You will just push yourself further off track than you are at now. You have started. Quitting will only hinder your work and focus. This journey is NOT easy. This journey of bettering yourself is HARD WORK. There is logging the foods, exercising, appointments to check on blood work, and so many other things that we do not consider when we are seeking to lose weight. The journey is indeed a journey with continuous change, learning and emotional growth. Back to the scale, use it how it works for you (daily, weekly, monthly, never, etc.), but do not obsess or define your progress by just that tool.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Plateau

The plateau I have encountered in the last few weeks has been one of the hardest moments in my progression. I have been working incredibly hard in the gym and on my nutrition. Yes, I have the occasional set back treats, but if I don't, I will forever be over indulging on those treats. I have been so incredibly discouraged for weeks about the plateau. The fact that I have done more in the last few weeks for movement including adding in jumping rope has been hardest on me mentally. I have felt so defeated. The scale is a tool, but is also the visual proof that you are making progress. I know I recently made an entry all about the scale, but honestly, I am continuing to struggle with the numbers not changing. I am so close to the next milestone that I want that I am so angry that there is a sudden halt. I have incredible people working behind the scenes to reconfigure my caloric deficit, having me log in my food on a new app and working to keep my mind focused on continuing

How My Journey Began

In July 2016, I was in the deepest depression I had ever been in. I would literally come home, sit on the couch and go to sleep. I would have someone make dinner and bring me a plate of food. I would not go to the store or get out anywhere that I had to walk any amount of distances. I would literally fall asleep sitting with people that came to visit. I would eat an unhealthy amount of calories and endless amounts of fast food as often as possible. I would sit more than anything at my job.  There was a phrase said to me that forever opened my eyes: "You are going to die." The follow up information about how my son was going to have no mother if I continued down this path was just as impacting. The fact I would miss him even making it to high school let alone seeing him graduate, get married, have children or any other success he might have along the way because I was going to die. I was killing myself slowly with food, unhealthy living habits and depression with anxi

Insecurities

Disclaimer: This was probably one of the harder blogs I have written. This took a lot out of me personally. However, to be honest, I feel so much lifted off my shoulders being able to write about this.... I always pictured pregnancy to be so much more pleasant and exciting. Although I will never regret or question my pregnancy, I was obese when I was pregnant. However, I had a very challenging pregnancy because of the obesity. I had a lot of vomiting, in fact every single day, some days multiple days. I had a hard time moving around without hurting as I got further and further along. I was unable to work. I had preeclampsia severely. I had so many tests, constantly. I was hospitalized twice. I developed Bells Palsy and that is when they decided to induce my labor. My labor and delivery was far from glamorous. My body rejected two epidurals and a spinal. My body was not handling all this well. The result of obesity and pregnant was the vertical incision (also known as a classic c-s