Skip to main content

The Plateau







The plateau I have encountered in the last few weeks has been one of the hardest moments in my progression. I have been working incredibly hard in the gym and on my nutrition. Yes, I have the occasional set back treats, but if I don't, I will forever be over indulging on those treats. I have been so incredibly discouraged for weeks about the plateau. The fact that I have done more in the last few weeks for movement including adding in jumping rope has been hardest on me mentally. I have felt so defeated.

The scale is a tool, but is also the visual proof that you are making progress. I know I recently made an entry all about the scale, but honestly, I am continuing to struggle with the numbers not changing. I am so close to the next milestone that I want that I am so angry that there is a sudden halt. I have incredible people working behind the scenes to reconfigure my caloric deficit, having me log in my food on a new app and working to keep my mind focused on continuing to work hard because there is progress happening. The scale, however, is not showing it because it's time for adjustments in what I am doing.

Image result for plateau in weight loss
I have felt so much energy and so alive the last few weeks with all the work I have put in at the gym. The jump roping thing has definitely been my highlight and a big success for me. I am so proud that I have been able to incorporate that instead of modifying like I have for two years. I am also moving a lot more, every where. I am constantly finding things saying "hey, this is new. I can do this now." 

I recognize that many people identify where I am because we are all on the same journey, facing the same struggles. Although these mile markers are happening, we got to keep going. Giving up is NOT an option. The inches are coming off, the stamina is building and there are so many indicators that you are achieving progress without an inconsistent piece of metal defining that. I feel like a hypocrite preaching about that because let's be honest, I'm struggling. However, this little picture reminded me today how far I have come. This little picture reminded me how much work I have done, and there is still work being done, but progress is happening. The support I have reminds me constantly of all the things I am doing now that I could not have done two years ago. There are so many things to be grateful for.

My question to you is this...What are you going to do with your scale? What can we do to overcome the three numbers that are constantly affecting our mental state? This is what I am going to do--I am going to rely solely on the way I feel as I have been told to do over and over again. I am going to work hard like I have been. I am going to continue to beat obesity by pushing the limits and showing people that I am stronger, faster and healthier than I have ever been. I am going to look at those numbers when I HAVE to and move on. Bring on the measurements. Bring on the smaller sizes in clothes. Bring on the two hours of hip hop that I proved I could dance to Friday night without sitting down. Bring on the narrower shoe because my feet have shrank. Bring on the booths at the restaurant that I can fit in to now. Bring on the chairs in the doctor's office that I have been able to sit in without having to find a bigger one or one without arms. Bring on the happiness, joy, energy and overall feeling of being me that I have fell so much in love with. I am going to love me and all these steps in this process.

My support at Blue Sky has me eating up to 2000 calories a day now, incorporating some 2-3 servings of grains a day and logging in their new app. The head nutritionist is also involved checking things out and being 100% supportive on what is going on. Burn Boot Camp-Asheville has been giving me so much support and encouraging me in the gym. I am so incredibly thankful for those helping me behind the scenes to work towards success and overcome this mile marker to be able to move on.

Thanks to everyone who has uplifted me lately. I know I have been whiny and even a little grumpy about things. I expect perfection on this journey, and it's far from ever going to be that. A good guy told me that it's unrealistic to expect perfection at every check-in, but I can't help but crave that. He is right. If every check-in were perfection, there is something flawed in the process. Seeing this stall is going to be a good thing, and push me to work harder than I ever have. 

To the people reading this feeling the defeat I have been feeling lately, DO NOT GIVE UP. Push yourself to keep working hard and overcoming the plateau. Meet with your trainer or change up your diet a little bit. Focus on your successes that do not involve the scale. Focus on your overall feeling inside. Focus on those clothes that are falling off your hips and shoulders. Focus on your happy. Allow nothing to stand in your way. Break-up with the scale for awhile because I am! Send me your scale, I have a plan for them.

I'm breaking up with you, Scale. 

P.S. If you are driving around, and see a silver sedan running over a series of scales, please do not be alarmed. It's just me.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

How My Journey Began

In July 2016, I was in the deepest depression I had ever been in. I would literally come home, sit on the couch and go to sleep. I would have someone make dinner and bring me a plate of food. I would not go to the store or get out anywhere that I had to walk any amount of distances. I would literally fall asleep sitting with people that came to visit. I would eat an unhealthy amount of calories and endless amounts of fast food as often as possible. I would sit more than anything at my job.  There was a phrase said to me that forever opened my eyes: "You are going to die." The follow up information about how my son was going to have no mother if I continued down this path was just as impacting. The fact I would miss him even making it to high school let alone seeing him graduate, get married, have children or any other success he might have along the way because I was going to die. I was killing myself slowly with food, unhealthy living habits and depression with anxi

Insecurities

Disclaimer: This was probably one of the harder blogs I have written. This took a lot out of me personally. However, to be honest, I feel so much lifted off my shoulders being able to write about this.... I always pictured pregnancy to be so much more pleasant and exciting. Although I will never regret or question my pregnancy, I was obese when I was pregnant. However, I had a very challenging pregnancy because of the obesity. I had a lot of vomiting, in fact every single day, some days multiple days. I had a hard time moving around without hurting as I got further and further along. I was unable to work. I had preeclampsia severely. I had so many tests, constantly. I was hospitalized twice. I developed Bells Palsy and that is when they decided to induce my labor. My labor and delivery was far from glamorous. My body rejected two epidurals and a spinal. My body was not handling all this well. The result of obesity and pregnant was the vertical incision (also known as a classic c-s